Since 1931, Allegheny County Airport (AGC) has been advancing modern corporate and recreational travel, and continues to provide convenient access to nearby universities, research facilities, financial and corporate operations and world-renowned medical centers.
Owned and operated by the Allegheny County Airport Authority, the airport also houses one of the nation’s premier aviation maintenance schools, air medical transport services, flight training operations and two fixed-base operators (FBO), and is home to several corporate planes and numerous private pilots’ aircraft.
Businesses routinely charter aircraft, ship and receive supplies and products, and have customers and suppliers arrive to the region via AGC.
Dedicated on September 11, 1931, AGC was the third largest airport in the country and the nation’s only hard-surface airport at the time.
Miss Pittsburgh, a Waco 9 plane, made the historic first airmail flight from AGC to Cleveland in 1927.
Helen Richey, of McKeesport, PA, was the first woman commercial airline pilot and flew for Central Airlines, calling AGC home base.
Central Airlines was founded by Clifford Ball, the first owner of Miss Pittsburgh, who also opened nearby airfield Bettis Field which preceded AGC.